Monday 27 October 2014

Harvest Home ! Lemon Cucumber Soup

Last January, I was lucky enough to take a Food Safari for work purposes to San Francisco organised by the Irish Food Board.

It was a fascinating & inspiring trip and I bought back lots of ideas.

One of the things I saw were cute round Lemon Cucumbers - and I decided to have a go growing some this Summer !

They grew pretty well and at the end of the season, when I was clearing my VegTrug for my winter crops, I was left with a few too many (slightly woody skinned !!) fruits to eat in salads !


So I decided, rather than waste them, to try making a Lemon Cucumber Soup instead!

The Lemon Cucumbers were peeled & chopped, combined in simmering in chicken stock with some of my home-grown garlic, chopped chives & Apache chillies and then whizzed with a stick blender to make a fairly thick but very tasty soup.

A much better result for the final harvest than just putting them on the compost heap !






No comments:

Post a Comment